October 4, 1970

October4Today in 1970, Janis Joplin was found dead in her California hotel room.

Joplin, who died of an accidental heroin overdose, was in the midst of a recording session. Her producer, Paul A. Rothchild, became concerned when she failed to show up at the Sunset Sound studio. Full Tilt Boogie road manager, John Cooke, drove to the Landmark Motor Hotel in Hollywood. Cooke entered Joplin’s room – No. 105 – and found her on the floor beside her bed.

Cooke believed that Joplin had been given a batch of heroin that was more potent than she expected; several of her dealer’s clients had also passed away of overdoses that same week.

In her will, Joplin left $2,500 to throw a wake party in the event of her death. The party took place three weeks later at the Lion’s Share in San Anselmo, California.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.

AlphaOmega Captcha Classica  –  Enter Security Code
     
 

*


UA-37337202-1